Nowadays cities are responsible for 75% of the energy consumed in the world and they generate 80% of greenhouse gases. By 2050 cities will house two thirds of the inhabitants of the planet, set against the current figure of 50%, entailing different challenges to guarantee their welfare.
Smart cities and Telefónica’s M2M services shed light on and offer solutions to this issue:
- They permit the optimization of the consumption of resources like water and energy with smart management solutions and remote control in public buildings and lighting, as well as by means of initiatives for the deployment of smart counters, as in the UK.
- They minimize the impact on the environment, reducing CO2 emissions with solutions such as smart mobility.
- They improve the lives of people, giving them greater participation in the life of the city and greater citizen involvement as result of the development of applications and big data.
- They promote innovation by creating platforms and open and collaborative environments.
- They invigorate the economy, contributing to the development of local businesses and tourism.
Mobility, Sustainability, Citizenship, Economics and Government are the axes Telefónica has already implemented in cities like São Paulo and Águas de São Pedro in Brazil, Santander, Logroño, Valencia, Zaragoza, Málaga and Barcelona in Spain, London in the United Kingdom and Lo Prado in Chile.
These are cities where we can see that smart cities are already a reality.
And the greatest benefits are still to come, from our platform based on FIWARE and the opportunities provided by big data.
Around FIRMWARE is enhanced open innovation to enable application developers (entrepreneurs) to “meet” with potential customers, data providers, investors and vice versa. Many European cities have already joined this ecosystem.