The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the most ambitious programme in history to address the major social and environmental challenges facing humanity.
The Internet and digital solutions are key to achieving more than half the SDG targets. At Telefónica we are taking up the baton and committing ourselves to the SDGs:
- Build a greener future: taking advantage of the power of digitalisation to curb climate change.
- Help society thrive: promoting economic and social progress based on digitalisation, leaving no one behind.
- Lead by example: maintaining strict levels of governance oversight in order to build trust.
Our sustainable financing framework, verified by Sustainalytics, also helps us to continue supporting the SDGs with projects with social and environmental impact.
HELPING SOCIETY PROSPER
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Provide faster and higher quality Internet access to individuals and businesses and power innovation.
Develop quality infrastructure to support economic and social development.
- R&D&I investment: 4,426 million euros
- Prepaid customers: 129.6 million
- Contribution to Universal Service: 169 billion euros
Enhance scientific research by promoting innovation.
- Investment in R&D: 835 billion euros
- Intellectual property rights: 421
Increase access to ICT and strive to provide Internet for all.
- People connected thanks to the Internet Para Todos (Internet For All) project: 1.8 million people
- 4G/LTE Mobile coverage : 87%
- UBB – Ultra Broad-band (building units wired): 68.8 million
DECENT WORK AND ECONOMIC GROWTH
Promote the digitalisation of small and medium-sized enterprises and generate wealth in the markets where we operate.
Promote and contribute to the economic growth of the countries in which we operate.
- Impact on GDP: 48,904 billion euros
- Tax contribution: 9,134 billion euros
Promote development-oriented policies that support productive activities, job creation, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation.
- % purchases from local suppliers: 81%
- Investment in startups through third parties: 1.9 billion euros
- Startups invested by Wayra: +770
Achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- Total number of employees: 103,934
- Indirect employment generated: 656,662
- Employees with disabilities: 1,347
Substantially reduce the proportion of youth not in employment, education or training.
- People trained in employability: 996,875
Protect labour rights and promote a safe and secure working environment for all workers.
- Provider audits: 17,960
- Providers with improvement plans: 610
Contribute to the empowerment of people to face the challenges and opportunities provided by digital transformation.
Ensure that all children complete primary and secondary education.
- No. of children benefiting from ProFuturo programmes: 19.7 million people
- No. of countries where the ProFuturo programme operates: 40
Increase the number of people with skills to access employment, decent jobs and entrepreneurship.
- Beneficiaries of the digital skills training programme: 782,948
- Hours of internal employee training: 39
Increase the supply of qualified teachers.
- No. of teachers in the ProFuturo programme: 914,000
BUILDING A GREENER FUTURE
AFFORDABLE, RELIABLE AND SUSTAINABLE ENERGY
Using 100% renewable energy in all our operations.
Increase the percentage of renewable energy.
- Renewable electricity consumption (own facilities) 79,4%
- Consumption is 100% renewable in Europe, Brazil and Peru
- Renewable electricity consumption: 4,918,373 MWh
Double the global rafe of improvement in energy efficiency.
- Emissions prevented by renewable energy consumption (tCO2e): 902,019
- Emissions prevented by energy management (tCO2e): 68,833
SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES
Become a leading provider of solutions that help our customers reduce their CO₂ emissions.
Reduce the negative environmental impact of cities.
- Emissions avoided through Eco Smart services (million tCO2): 8,684
RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION
Encourage the circular economy in the use of electronic devices through eco-design, re-use and recycling.
Achieve sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources.
- Electricity consumption + Self-generation (MWh): 6,548,152
- Total energy consumption (MWh): 6,106,625
- Waste generation (tonnes): 64,065
Reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse.
- Waste recycling (%): 98%
Adopt sustainable practices.
- Responsible Design Process: Integrated in Telefónica Spain
Implement the most efficient telecommunications network and reduce our CO₂ emissions.
Integrate climate change measures into policies, strategies and planning.
- Direct emissions (Scope 1) (tCO2): 183,231
- Indirect emissions (based on market method) (Scope 2) (tCO2): 353,506
- Other indirect emissions (Scope 3) (tCO2): 2,072,159
LEADING BY EXAMPLE
Be a leading inclusive company to drive equality and equity.
End all forms of discrimination.
- Gender adjusted wage gap/ gross: 1,2%/21,8%
Eliminate all forms of violence and other forms of exploitation.
- Cases of discrimination detected / measures taken: 0
Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels.
- Women on the Board of Directors: 33%
- Women in management positions: 29.5%
- Women in the workforce: 38%
- Programmess to foster STEM careers: 52
PEACE, JUSTICE AND STRONG INSTITUTIONS
Build digital trust, safeguarding the security of our customers’ data and their privacy.
Reduce corruption and bribery in all its forms.
- Employees who have completed the Responsible Business course: 85%
Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms.
- Privacy of information: SASB TC-TL-2020a
- Information security: SASB TC-TL-230a
Strengthen international cooperation.
- Corporate volunteering (people): 59,054
Promote collaboration to innovate and increase access to technology and ICTs.
Increase the number of fixed broadband Internet subscribers in all the regions in which we operate.
- Number of fixed broadband subscribers: 25.8 million
Promote collaboration to innovate and increase access to and use of technology and digitalisation.
- Penetration of LTE service in the customer base: 90%
We work with the FAO
Together we promote digitalisation in agriculture and the food value chain, contributing to SDGs 2, 11, 12, 13 and 17.
Discover FAO’s work in this area and consult its FAO e-learning Center.
Digital training at Fundación Telefónica
We work every day to help people become digitally literate and digitally competent.