Caring for the planet’s resources must be a daily habit. That’s how we see it at Telefónica. What’s our objective? To minimise our footprint and help maintain the fragile environmental balance as we all depend on it.
Being aware of our impact on the environment is the first step towards a sustainable business model. In our case, it comes mainly from communication networks: fibre optics, 4 and 5G, submarine cables, etc. which connect people and businesses. It is our responsibility to minimise it, as well as to facilitate solutions to environmental challenges through digitalisation.
Respect for the environment is for Telefónica one more element of the business
Reducing the environmental footprint of our networks
In network design, operation, maintenance and decommissioning:
- We pay special attention to legislation in areas such as waste management, efficient use of resources, respect for the landscape and the measurement of electromagnetic fields.
- We share facilities with other carriers or companies which manage the communication towers. The result is less visual impact and reduced energy consumption, as well as reducing waste.
- We promote energy efficiency and use renewable energy to reduce CO₂ emissions as part of our strategy to be part of the solution to climate change.
- We shut off old networks so that they no longer consume energy,and we recycle all the materials derived from their decommissioning.
- We respect biodiversity with precautionary measures during construction, locating base stations outside protected areas whenever possible and through corrective measures when necessary.
A robust and measurable Environmental Management System
In order to control our footprint, we ensure compliance with environmental legislation and prevent risks, we have an Environmental Management System which enables us to ensure global standards in all countries, with homogeneous processes and indicators for rigorous monitoring.
We reduce our impact
We extend our environmental practices to the entire value chain: suppliers, through clauses in contracts, information actions and audits; employees, through training; and customers and others, through consumer programmes and awareness-raising actions.
Telefónica’s Global Environmental Policy
Designed in accordance with ISO 14001:2015, setting out our commitments to caring for natural resources.
Reduce water consumption
Telefónica’s operations that do not require a high level of water consumption, although water is highly important in some countries.