Telefónica Public Policy & Telefónica España Regulatory teams
Telefónica’s commitment to digital transformation is put into practice in two global strategic agreements with companies that are committed to promoting the digital revolution: BBVA and SEAT. With this gesture, Telefónica demonstrates its capacity for diversification by promoting digitalization in sectors as diverse as banking and the automobile industry.
On the side of the bank, Ángel Vilá Boix, CEO of Telefónica, and Carlos Torres Vila, CEO of BBVA, have signed an agreement to optimize the communications of the financial institution, increase the capacity of the technological network and facilitate operations on the cloud. The agreement foresees converting the current communications network to a “service platform” mode that will improve the capacity and the management of the Group’s global communications.
In this sense, the agreement between BBVA and Telefónica will allow BBVA:
1. Increase network capacity by as much as tenfold while minimizing costs, thanks to the integration of the connection services into a single global provider, with the support of its technological and network capacities.
2. Improve time-to-market for the adoption of new programming and network virtualization technologies (SDN and NFV), reducing the time it takes to launch new services down to a matter of hours. An experience supplemented by a comprehensive portal for all the services and a catalogue of APIs that will enable the integration of Telefónica’s systems into BBVA’s
3. Optimize the customer experience, thanks to greater speed, without delays, in its communications with the online channels in all geographies, with a more agile and secure connection.
By doing so, Telefónica becomes a priority partner of BBVA. In addition, it guarantees the new bandwidth requirements demanded by cloud environments and the exponential increase in transactions, the same as for digital banking services. This will bring agility, simplicity and efficiency to the possibilities of cloud computing.
“This agreement is another example of Telefónica’s objective of offering our customers the best solutions to optimize their communications and technological processes so that they can continuously adapt them to their needs”, said Ángel Vilá Boix
In the case of the automobile industry, Luca de Meo, President of SEAT, and Luis Miguel Gilpérez, President of Telefónica Spain, have agreed to promote innovation to position SEAT as a benchmark company in connected and digitized mobility solutions. This agreement makes Telefónica a strategic IT provider of SEAT.
This alliance reflects collaboration in three major areas of work:
1. Big Data. The shared use of insights (information extracted from anonymized and aggregated data) to design optimised approaches to solutions for mobility, always respecting the principles of privacy, confidentiality and transparency towards users.
2. The application of 5G connectivity in the connected car. optimised approaches to solutions for mobility; the application of 5G connectivity in the connected car and developing digital transformation projects as an integral part of the car manufacturing process.
3. Blockchain and IoT. In the development of digital transformation projects within the car manufacturing process, Telefónica and SEAT are collaborating on a proof of concept based on Blockchain technology to improve the tracking of parts within the supply chain at the Martorell factory. In addition, solutions and systems based on IoT (the Internet of Things) with the purpose of enhancing and streamlining procurement management and supplier relations.
With this type of agreements, Telefónica reinforces its commitment to digital transformation and stimulates its development in other sectors, such as banking and the automotive industry, with the aim of improving people’s lives.