Our goal is to bring technology to all people so that they can benefit from all the opportunities it offers and thereby build fairer, more prosperous and sustainable societies.
The pillars of digital inclusion
Infrastructure – Innovation
- Inclusive Access
- Digital skills
- Basic skills
- Technical skills and employability
- Responsible use of technology
- Information security
- Responsible use
- Relevant content and services
- InfographicPillars of Digital InclusionJPG | 852 KB
Telefónica was recognised in 2020 as the 2nd best company in the world for its commitment to Digital Inclusion by the World Benchmark Alliance.
We are extending our telecommunications infrastructure and developing new technologies to bring connectivity and digital services to everyone:
- We connect the disconnected or those with limited connection: we bring our services to all regions, including rural or hard-to-reach areas, with projects such as “Internet para Todos” or with innovative agreements and business models.
- We improve and expand broadband coverage with the latest technologies to ensure that the whole of society has access to the benefits of digitalisation.
Fibre optics and digital services in rural areas are a driver of social and economic development since they facilitate business start-ups and increase incomes by up to 3.9%
Beyond infrastructure, we contribute to removing those barriers that limit the use of digital services by means of:
- Affordability solutions, ranging from “Social Subscriptions”, for people in vulnerable situations, to a range of rates, including prepaid solutions, which make access to communications possible for the majority of the population.
- Contribution to public Universal Service funds, whichguarantee access to basic communication services, pay-as-you-go mobile service, specific broadband packages and services for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Promoting the accessibility of digital products to facilitate the use of technology for all people regardless of their physical abilities.
- Support for vulnerable groups with programmes such as ProFuturo, which uses technology to bring education to children in developing countries.
Leaders in sustainable financing: We intend to increase the weight of ESG financing to over €10 billion in the coming years, to continue supporting projects with social and environmental impact
Innovation and relevant content and services
We develop new services that help us add value to connectivity. Mobile financial solutions, health services, Big Data applications to assess pollution in cities or manage epidemics and Smart Agriculture applications are some of the solutions that contribute to social development and provide useful and necessary tools for many people.
More information on Innovation section.
- Measuring the Socio-economic Impact of High-speed Broadband Deployment in Rural Areas of Spain